About Bullying - Information for Young Children
If you are being bullied:
- Report it: Tell someone you trust, or you could write a letter and give that to a trusted adult.
- If a person doesn’t help you don’t give up, find someone else.
- There is safety in numbers – don’t become vulnerable to bullies and bullying by being alone (friends help!)
- We know it can be hard but confidence can help stop the bullying.
- Speak up and stand up for yourself e.g by saying in a strong voice that you do not like that and the bully should stop it now.
- Say no and walk away (walking away may give you more power…but sometimes it is safer to run away).
- If it is on a cellphone or website, save it, tell someone, then report them to the phone company or website owner.
- Avoid the bully and avoid being in places where you feel unsafe.
- Find a safe place to go
- SPEAK UP!! TELL SOMEONE…
Where to get help:
- Youth services: http://www.yoss.org.nz/
(06) 3555 906
- Youthline: http://www.youthline.co.nz/
0800 376 633
- Kidsline: http://www.kidsline.org.nz/
0800 543 754 (4pm to 6pm weekdays)
- Whatsup: http://whatsup.co.nz/
0800 942 8787 (noon to midnight)
- The Word: http://theword.org.nz/
- Depression helpline: http://depression.org.nz/
0800 111 757 (8am to midnight)
- Rainbow Youth: http://www.rainbowyouth.org.nz/
(09) 376 4155
- CASPER Suicide Prevention http://www.casper.org.nz/
- Lifeline http://www.lifeline.co.nz/
0800 543 354 - 24 hr ph counselling
- Tautoko 0508 828 865
- The Low Down
0800 111 757
0800 37 66 33
If it is an emergency and you feel like you or someone else is at risk, call 111.